[AusNOG] Network Operators Unite Against SORBS

Sean K. Finn sean.finn at ozservers.com.au
Wed Oct 13 13:47:09 EST 2010

SpamHaus and SPAMCOP regularly send us information from our netblocks, allowing us, and our customers to deal with the spam instead of just nuking their IP.

This inclues the quantity of matches per time period, and, they send us the offending spam email so that we can try to track it down.

This is a genuine effort by SpamCOP to help operators identify attack vectors, and having the offending emails usually helps incredibly.

Hiding in the shadows however with no transparency is wearing itself thin.

Perhaps if the individual that runs SORBS allowed ISP's (OWNERS of netblocks) to list contact details and delist themselves, while forwarding the offending emails, this may at least help us understand why we get listed, and give us tools to deal with the attack vector.

At present the only answer to sorbs is to not use sorbs. There aren't any other reliable options.

RBL's do cut out tremendous amounts of spam for us, to the point that we mirror credible RBL's in-house, amalgamate some of them and allow our customers to query a local RBL mirror for processing speed.

SORBS did not make the shortlist, although we did our homework.