[AusNOG] Network Operators Unite Against SORBS

Nick Brown nick at inticon.net.au
Wed Oct 13 11:58:24 EST 2010

  On 13/10/10 10:59 AM, Cole, Patrick wrote:
> Personally,  I'm sick of SORBS wasting my time with their DUHL listings on IP address space that has been re-purposed from dynamic to static.   After six months of logging tickets I finally got all our static blocks delisted a few months ago, and now just in the last week suddenly the whole lot have been listed again, and their website was also broken at the time making delisting impossible.    A week later, customers are still complaining.
>
> The problem is as a network operator the customer feels it is our responsibility to ensure that any IP assignments are free from blacklist tyranny.  It's difficult to do that without any corporate body to apply pressure to.
Agreed, this especially is the case where a end user is not directly
responsible for the IP such as in a shared hosting environment.
Operators who continue to use realtime blackmail lists such as SORBS
don't understand the impact they have on other operators because their
customers are blissfully unaware they are not receiving legitimate mail.

Nor do I see any amount of customer education ever changing this.

> It's one of the most frustrating things IMO, I would definitely recommend any network operators stop using their service on general principle.  These days I believe spam may have reached the point where things like SORBS have a negligible effect anyway..
This I disagree with, we save a tremendous amount of processing power on
our mail gateways by not having to scan junk that is picked up during
SMTP time by Spamhaus / Barracuda RBL.

> Regards,
>
> Patrick

Nick.