[AusNOG] Network Operators Unite Against SORBS (do they now?)

Andrew Fort afort at choqolat.org
Wed Oct 13 09:53:45 EST 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 11:37 PM, iHate SORBS <ihatesorbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Network Operators Unite Against SORBS

Is this a statement, a demand, or a request?

> Do you, or have you had problems with SORBS?

Naturally.  Some people, especially those who don't identify
themselves and act unaccountably, can be a real annoyance.

> Tired of being able to do nothing about it?

No.  I just went to the pub.

> Sick of opening a trouble ticket, only to get delisted weeks later?

No, but then again, why are you still running a mailserver when you
apparently use gmail?

> I am calling on all Network Operators to stand up and stop routing
> dnsbl.sorbs.net until that time they can commit to making real changes.

When I was younger, I used to be annoyed about such things.  Perhaps
it was because I had a small mind and an equal ability to argue my
point rationally.  What's your excuse?

But you know, Mr. Hater, and as much as you don't like it, just like
everyone has an arsehole, everyone is entitled to their opinion, even
that sorbs guy, and you too, mr. "iHate SORBS" guy (do you have an
iphone app too?).  While it's not protected in Australia's
constitution

Whoever you are, calling yourself "ihatesorbs at gmail.com" isn't gonna
help your case.  Who would put their arse on the line and null-route
someone at the behest of someone hiding behind a gmail alias you
likely created this morning (lemme guess: you got paged at 2AM and you
were pissed off?).

Customer: "uhh so my mailserver borked because you blocked this sorbs
thing I was happily using!"
Operator: "This guy called I HATE SORBS encouraged me to null-route it"
Customer: ".... Please cancel my service, you flaming douchebag."

If you feel so strongly about it, why don't you put up a website - go
and register "ihatesorbs.com" (not registered) or "sorbssucks.com"
(oops, "someone" already registered that; but hey "sorbsblows.com" is
avaiable!), and point your customers at it.  You can put up logs
describing how it impacts you, what it means to your customers, how
they can avoid the fail, what the impact of SORBS' work has been
against the spam problem (yes, he's tilting at sunflowers and as far
as I can tell, is a persistent failure, but a failure over the last...
what? 15 years? nonetheless).

If you want to break a little part of the internet - for yourself and
your customers (assuming you have any), after all; in the words of
Randy Bush, "i encourage my competitors to operate their networks in
that manner".

Have a nice day, and do post the website if you create it :-).

> -Operator

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 12:48 AM, Sean K. Finn
<sean.finn at ozservers.com.au> wrote:
> You’ve obviously been to an AusNOG Drinking session before.
> Generally Bacon, IPv6 and Sorbs-Hating is on the agenda.

Not that there's anything wrong with bacon, after all.  I think a BLT
with extra bacon, drizzled with bacon fat and then deep fried in bacon
grease is a thoroughly hearty breakfast.  (also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWu-gqoMUn0)

> I’m not sure about going so far as to null-routing them, it’s not up to us
> to deny our customers enough rope to hang themselves with, but as for a
> reputation based list, their pervasive aura is exceptionally low as there
> appears to be no GENUINE accountability or transparency on how they operate.

That's true, and equally true is that people don't have to receive
mail from your system, or your customer's.  As much as it makes your
customers moan, welcome to the internet :)

-a

--
Andreux Fort (afort at choqolat.org)