[AusNOG] Consumer HD Teleconferencing

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Fri Oct 8 12:13:19 EST 2010

On Fri, Oct 08, 2010, James Andrewartha wrote:

> Imagine a house with two TVs streaming video over the internet - at say
> 6Mbps for each 1080p stream that's 5GB/hour. Australians watch 22
> hours/week of TV at the moment, so let's call that 80 hours a month, for a
> total of 420GB, just for TV. Do you think that will be affordable on any
> sort of 4G connection in the near future?

As someone who's currently hacking on 802.11(n) drivers, I'm kind of scared
by the idea that dense, high bandwidth wireless apps may be the norm soon.

It's difficult enough in some dense neighbors -getting- a stable 802.11bg
connection; I'd hate to see 11n (2.4ghz or 5ghz) - espceially if you're wanting
to do up to 300mbit over a 40mhz channel. Aiee.

(That said, I know how to tell -my- cards to just transit, screw the surrounding
air. Some companies sell that as a feature. :)

Adrian

- $24/pm+GST entry-level VPSes w/ capped bandwidth charges available in WA -