[AusNOG] Consumer HD Teleconferencing

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Oct 8 11:49:07 EST 2010

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010, David Connors wrote:

> Notwithstanding Internet-enabled fridges, dishwashers and remote controls, I would expect the majority use case for the
> Internet in the future to be wireless and mobile. Telstra probably understands that pretty well.
>
> It would be interesting to check back in five years and see how many 720p video calls are placed via the
> umi/GoogleTV/Playstation4/whatever on NBN vs Facetime on iPhone 5/6/7 over LTE.

Facetime currently doesn't work over 3G, only wifi. While this might
change, I doubt LTE download quotas will be as large as NBN download
quotas in Australia.

More generally, "Wireless and mobile" can still mean 802.11n fed by ADSL
or FTTH NBN - don't confuse the final device hop with the last mile.

Imagine a house with two TVs streaming video over the internet - at say
6Mbps for each 1080p stream that's 5GB/hour. Australians watch 22
hours/week of TV at the moment, so let's call that 80 hours a month, for a
total of 420GB, just for TV. Do you think that will be affordable on any
sort of 4G connection in the near future?

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |