[AusNOG] NBN Legislation

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Sat Nov 27 19:49:38 EST 2010

On 26/11/2010, at 9:23 PM, Terry Manderson wrote:

Darren,

As I understand it, now that fibre infrastructure is listed specifically under the Telecommunications Act any installation needs to follow the NBN specifications by virtue of the ACMA standards and industry defined codes.. Problem as I see it is that I have no idea what those standards are, and where do I get a copy to follow. So I think you are fine to upgrade, as soon as the standards are released. Whenever that might be..

Comms Alliance?  It's been the place basic standards (eg. class based deployment for ULL) have been developed for, well, sometime now.

MMC

The only out clause to this is, I think, for point to point connections for companies that are not a carriage service.

I lament the days that both the ducts and copper were sold to telstra and not just the copper. But (being of a liberal mind) I loath the idea that the ducts remain owned by telstra, the copper is being ripped out to be replaced with fibre at (essentially) tax payer expense and owned by NBN and all other fibre services, regardless of duct use needs to follow the NBN approved Spec(*), I don't read that the legislation gives NDN veto power - but then Im no lawyer or legislation expert.

I also don't know the fine print to the telstra-nbn deal. It is all far from transparent IMHO.

Terry