[AusNOG] AusLog

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Tue Nov 2 21:53:41 EST 2010

On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 20:16:43 +1030
Brad Gould <bradley at internode.com.au> wrote:

> On 02/11/2010, at 19:46, "Mark Smith"
> > government, by law, forcing private telecommunications organisations to
> > use the NBN, rather than allowing them to build alternative and
> > topologically diverse competitive infrastructure, as has been
> > suggested, may well be somewhat driven by this political agenda.
>
> I'll put on my tinfoil hat for this one...
>
> "Bollocks"
>
> Show me one instance where the current Government has had the forethought to develop any sort of intergrated policy covering anything.
>
> Filtering has been lumbering along since pre-2007.  Who knows how long Auslog has been fermenting in the AG's department.  NBN was conceived on a plane and a napkin, with its roots based in a huge middle finger to Sol.

I'm not saying that Rudd and Conroy the foresight to realise that it
could be architected to suite their other agendas. I'm saying that the
current proposed architecture would better suite the Labor party's
other Internet agendas, and measures such as mandatory use of NBN,
forced by law, may not be coincidental if the value of the control an
architecture creates has been realised. There have been a number of
years to think about these things, and a number of parties in who's
interests it is to think about them, not just those with commercial
interests. Anybody who has read "Code and Other Laws of
Cyberspace" (first published back in 2000) would know that architecture
is one the ways that can be used to control peoples' use of things,
including the Internet (the other three are laws, markets and (social)
norms).

Even if creating 14 telecommunications traffic choke points for the
purposes of filtering and auslog is in no way the intent, and a
surprise to those who have been involved in developing that model, it
concerns me that they far more easily facilitate those
filtering/logging agendas than the much more diverse networks
we have today.

It's worth remembering that this government has already resorted NDAs
to try to suppress public and open discussion of these AusLog measures.

Regards,
Mark.