[AusNOG] IPv6 Article on CNN

Kurt Bales kwbales at kwbales.net
Mon May 31 16:14:35 EST 2010

Hey Kevin,

Having said that, the MS reps are really excited that our solution enables
> remote use of the MS DA feature of Windows 7
> for the schools. From our perspective that's just a side benefit that we're
> welcome to have. More to the point of this
> thread, it clearly gave an example for Skeeve of rewards achievable only on
> IPv6.

I may have this wrong, but have you not simply created a VPN using IPv6?

Could the same thing not achieved using any VPN implementation and an
suitably large IPv4 allocation?

Skeeve's point was that these things aren't magical to IPv6. Yes IPv6
facilitates the implementation of these things - in this case end to end
connectivity, but this is nothing that could not be achieved with either a
large enough allocation from an RIR or using internal addresses inside a VPN
setup.

Please correct me if I'm wrong - the above doesn't (and shouldn't!) take
away from the fact you have implemented a truly useful service.

K.