[AusNOG] Google creepier than Conroy?

Andrew Cox andrew at accessplus.com.au
Sun May 30 15:35:48 EST 2010

Everyone seems to be assuming the software was written for the express
purpose of being uploaded to google streetview vehicles to capture
information worldwide, when in reality for all we know the application
used for the wireless capture may very well be part of the same
software google uses to audit and security test its own networks hence
it would make perfect sense for an option to capture traffic to be
part of their software.

It's all speculation on our part (mine as much as anyone else) and I
don't think Conroy or any of us are really in a place to comment on
how accidental this was. Leaving it to the courts and the proper
authorities (hopefully authorities who *do* understand these things..
unlike Conroy) to work it all out and make a decision.

- Andrew