[AusNOG] web App firewalls.

David Hughes David at Hughes.com.au
Fri May 28 13:40:13 EST 2010

On 28/05/2010, at 1:20 PM, Peter J. Cherny wrote:

> If the device is a LB e.g. Alteon or F5 ...
> ... what state do think it's tracking ?
>
> I think terminology is getting in the way of understanding the
> functionality.

Well, any sort of load balancer by definition must keep track of where it's balanced the load.  Also, seeing as an LB is basically a NAT device, it's got a stack of state to remember.  If you fill the connection table on an LB or FW device the boxes behind it go off the air.  Sounds like a great way to DOS yourself :)

David