[AusNOG] Whts everyone using for a Asset Register

Andreux Fort afort at choqolat.org
Thu May 27 09:39:10 EST 2010

Not the OP, but here's a few you may consider:

  Open software's NETS (http://www.open.com.au/nets/ ; by McCauley and co,
the Radiator guys).
  BT DiamondIP (more of an IP address management solution, but can do some
inventory)
  VitalQIP (again, similar, but has an extensible inventory section)

Beyond that, people seem to just build their own - probably due to the
belief that every network is quite a bit different (if you're Layer 2
service focused, your topology analysis and so on is a bunch different to
Layer 3).  And with any of the above things you'll have to customise it
heavily anyhow, which can lead some down the road of hacks often using
RANCID router.db files as a device "inventory" (not to hate; this is a great
way to start automating).

Personally, I think this is an area that could use some more open source
work; anyone interested in working on a project to that end based on some
fairly common SP requirements?  (Unfortunately all of the open source IPAM
solutions are focused on uni residential or enterprise networks, not SPs,
and there's not really much of anything in the way of inventory).

-a

Andreux Fort (afort at choqolat.org)