[AusNOG] Route filter update management advice.

Sean K. Finn sean.finn at ozservers.com.au
Wed May 26 14:33:27 EST 2010

HI All,

Thank's for the advice.

The biggest lessons I've learnt here are:

1. Automate router configs for *internal* as path and prefix filtering. (Why didn't I think of that?)
2. Use available tools wherever available to make life easier, like, IRRD, RPSL etc, but avoid IRRToolset like the plague since I'm starting afresh.
3. Vet every incoming IP range and AS
4. Template and script as much as possible when a new request arrives to upstreams via email or whatever methods they publish. AAPT is one of my upstreams and they have an automated interface, so its probably just as easy to push requests into this interface, as one example.

Once again thanks to the couple of people who replied off-list, and to those who replied on-list.

I'm off to check out IRRD, RPSL and IRRToolset to start with.

Thanks.
Sean.