[AusNOG] Web Application Load Balancer recommendations

Darren Moss Darren.Moss at em3.com.au
Sat May 22 12:30:41 EST 2010

Hi Noggers,

We have a web application that now needs to be load balanced so
additional servers can be brought online for load sharing.
Normally we would look at appliance based load balancing and split load
on least busy target, however we have a requirement to apply some logic
at the load balancer to steer specific IP Addresses to different hosts
in the load balanced pool.

We are looking for a load balancer (can be software or appliance based)
that can handle a little logic (Linux +  MySQL is what we use) and then
steer the incoming requests to the appropriate web application server.

Has anyone worked with this type of request ??

The alternative is to put another appliance in front of a load balancer
appliance, which is not ideal.

A penny for your thoughts.

Cheers.

Regards,

Darren Moss
General Manager, Director
[p] 1300 131 083 [f] 03 9017 2287
[e] Darren.Moss at em3.com.au [w] www.em3.com.au <http://www.em3.com.au/>

em3 People and Technology | Managed Technology Experts
postal: PO Box 2333, Moorabbin VIC 3189

New Zealand Airedale Street, Auckland City
postal: PO Box 39573, Howick 2045
[p] 09 92 555 26 [f] 09 887 0273 [m] 021 841 541