[AusNOG] SMH: "No room at the internet"

Shane Short shane at short.id.au
Thu May 20 11:38:24 EST 2010

Replies inline:

On 20/05/2010, at 9:26 AM, Mark Newton wrote:

> On 20/05/2010, at 8:40 AM, Stuart Low wrote:
>
> Alternatively:
>
> If you're a hosting provider, you're competing with lots of other
> hosting providers in a pretty aggressive environment.  You'll notice
> that your hosting customers are filling your helpdesk queues with
> complaints about poor performance, poor UX, poor feedback from their
> customers, etc.  And you'll notice that your competitors, who deploy
> dual-stack by default, don't tend to have those problems.
>
>> Say what you want about the address space running out but I'd put $50 on a lot of smaller hosting co's (Australian and foreign) saving themselves support pain and not bothering with a 4 to 6 conversion on their existing deployments. Why? Cause it 'works' with the ISPs punting data 6to4 on their behalf.
>
> Sounds risky.  See previous message.

I wouldn't be betting on that to happen.. I'd be taking steps to get yourself ready now. We've already got our v6 allocation from APNIC and are in the middle of trying to get all our load balancers, accounting systems etcetc IPv6 ready. We're fortunately in the position where we glued our platform together ourselves, so we're not waiting for $hosting_system_vendor to get their stuff up to snuff.

As Mark says, you don't want to find yourself in the position where suddenly you *need* IPv6 and you're just not ready. Start now and take your time, or procrastinate and rush in the future.