[AusNOG] SMH: "No room at the internet"

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Wed May 19 21:11:44 EST 2010

On 19/05/2010, at 5:55 PM, Stuart Low wrote:

> Assuming the entire world doesn't just magically turn IPv6 so all
> websites work via the native stack, I'd be interested to hear how people
> in the ISP industry are dealing with situations where they've been
> forced to NAT their IPv6 client addresses to an IPv4 website.

Why would anyone want to do that?

What's more likely to happen is that residential users will be IPv4-NAT'ed,
thereby freeing up enough addresses to enable hosting customers to be
dual-stack.

(for a price)

Then one's IPv6-capable residential customers get direct peer-to-peer
connectivity to the website, and one's IPv4-only customers see it through
a NAT.

The NATs are going to be really atrocious, by the way. The IPv4 Internet
will carry increasingly massive quantities of suck.

  - mark

--
Mark Newton                               Email:  newton at internode.com.au (W)
Network Engineer                          Email:  newton at atdot.dotat.org  (H)