[AusNOG] SMH: "No room at the internet"

John Edwards john at netniche.com.au
Wed May 19 15:52:05 EST 2010

On 19/05/2010, at 2:32 PM, Tim Warnock wrote:

> The bigger question is has anyone other than Internode deployed IPv6 in any
> fashion (excluding Ethernet in colo) to users?

We have IPv6 on all flavours of our DSL and ethernet on request , but most users remain somewhere between blissfully ignorant and arrogantly in denial. There's a certain commodity modem/router out there that dies when it receives ipv6 discovery packets on its PPP interface (probably due to ipv6 being stripped out of its linux-based kernel to save space), which may be a showstopper for some. Vendor maintains that it works great in bridged mode with Internode ipv6.

If anyone is interested, we also have some scripts to apply IPv6 to Cpanel, so that it plays nicely with Cpanel's config-rewriting routines and software updates. At the moment this works for web and exim email.

mail.ausnog.net sends this list via IPv6 [2407:9000:0:3:250:56ff:fe9e:409b] if you have it :)

John Edwards