[AusNOG] SMH: "No room at the internet"

Narelle narellec at gmail.com
Tue May 18 21:32:37 EST 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Andreux Fort <afort at choqolat.org> wrote:
> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Karl Kloppenborg <karl at karltec.net> wrote:
>
>> Also what do you reckon the go will be with Iphone IPv6 support?

Apparently it's there in OS4
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/04/08/ichatagent_note_syncing_over_mobileme_discovered_in_iphone_4_0.html

> If they're indeed producing it for Verizon's 4G network as some rumors
> suggest, it'll have IPv6, as it's a (carrier) requirement.  For
> UMTS/3G however, it's a mine-field (the carrier and/or their gear may
> or may not support).  As android 2.0+ supports IPv6 (at the very least
> on the 802.11 interface), I don't imagine Apple will be that far
> behind.

3GPP mandates IPv6 from Release 99, and I always applauded them for that,

BUT

that was just for the user equipment, though from memory it was
specified for the GGSN.

Subsequent releases have shown incremental changes to the various 3G
network components. Then, each vendor has to support it in their own
implementation.

I note for eg:
- IMS specified in Rel5
- vendor <unspecified> GGSN made it in Rel7
etc

We're up to Rel 9.

Of course, what any telco builds is something else again... and what
databases they rectify (eg there is an HLR dependency)... let alone
the services they offer...

It's still not that hard - just a question of where the overlay network goes.

Of course we've been pointing out the need to plan for IPv6 in 3G for
a number of years - the mobile forecasts blew away IPv4 consumption
rates years ago.

Cheers

Narelle
[In all fairness there is a list of IETF dependencies on the
not-quite-finished 3GPP list, not all IPv6 either.]

--

Narelle
narellec at gmail.com