[AusNOG] Help with NBN questions.

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Wed May 12 15:26:23 EST 2010

Hi Karl,

1. I'm not sure if it will ? I thought the NBN is mostly about a national L2 access network (ie. customer tails). ISP's will still need to purchase wholesale Internet access from somewhere outside of NBNCo.

2. There was a thread kicking around here recently on this question, but I'm not sure if anyone knows definitively what it means yet.

3. NFI.

4. (long answer follows)

In the locations where FTTH is currently available the plans mirror those of DSL/cable where the upload speed is a fraction of the download speed. So even if you get 100Mbps down, you might only get 5-10M upload speed. Admittedly 10Mbps is still enough for users to host their own content and probably good for a number of smallish business offerings. I don't know if NBN is going to continue this trend or not. Most of the articles I have glanced at about suggested NBN pricing only give the download speed (eq. 10, 25 or 100 Mbps commonly given). Happy to be corrected on this, but currently telco & ISP alike may a LOT more money if you happen to say you want a symmetrical connection.

ISP/hosting companies will continue to differentiate and add value in much the same way they do today by having high class data centers, connectivity and support.

I can put 10 racks in my garage and hook it up to my shiny new NBN connection but I would have issues with:

1. Network Redundancy - unless I pay for this with a "business grade" NBN connection that is part of a fibre ring setup and even then I only have a single fibre. How many of the existing low cost hosting shops are even multihomed with their own IP allocation from APNIC ?

2. Power Redundancy & supply - like most people I live in a residential area. I'm not going to get multiple feeds, I'm not going to get a lot of power and I'm going to have noise issues if I run generators.

3. Technical suppor - my technical support team consists of me and my dog (and my dog is getting old and lazy).

etc.

In short, if you currently offer a low price, no frills, budget option for hosting then you might have something to worry about. If you offer a quality service, that you add value to and your customers appreciate then you might lose the lower 10-20% of your customers who will seek the cheaper offering. There is a good chance that these 20% of customers are the ones you make the least money from anyway but the ones who require the most time and effort to support (and they usually whinge the loudest too !)

(just my $0.02)

regards,
Tony.