[AusNOG] Cherry pickers

Steve Baxter steve at thebaxters.com
Fri May 7 05:58:52 EST 2010

I have not had a chance to read the whole report yet but I did come
across this chunk of comment that I found interesting:

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/173989,study-penalties-for-those-that-comp
ete-with-nbn-co.aspx

A few issues here:

- why would they deploy to areas where there is competition and a
commercial rationale exists to build anyhow (I know that their policy is
to do all of Australia but why fix something that isn't broken). Also,
will existing 'cherry pickers' get grandfathered in; and

- what about competing wireless networks that could do 20M+ - will they
get smacked with a stick as well ?

There was always a worry that NBN was only possible in a monopoly
environment and this seems to back that case. 70% to 90% take up rates
seem on the high side to me. Also the fundamental premise in the report
that NBN Co will be a *monopoly* wholesale provider - the report has
been created contemplating a competition free environment - wow !

Cheers,

SB