[AusNOG] NBN Implementation Study

Narelle narellec at gmail.com
Thu May 6 18:33:25 EST 2010

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 2:42 PM, Curtis Bayne <curtis at bayne.com.au> wrote:
> "Where transit is offered, to ensure a level playing field, all service
> providers should be required to use this service to connect to the NBN
> access network, and not permitted to connect below the POI".

and they have said there will be 250+ POIs... so to get a national
presence RSPs need to install nationally...

> Nice. I wonder if we'll connect using ATM VCs and pay per KM for the
> privilege? :)

hardy har har.
None of NBN Co's design docs include any mention of antiquated L2
protocols like that! And anyway, why on earth would they want to fork
out for the cost of an NMS and costly ATM network on top of all their
other costs?? [1]

I wonder what the transit topology will look like?

Ie if you are a regional SP, and only want to trunk back to your
regional POP, why would you want to trombone to the transit points?
You wouldn't. Yes, it would make it the same cost as a city provider,
so consumers get to have identical offerings (if the city providers
bother to go there...)

Cheers

[1] I say this because in a previous post when I was being humorous
some took me seriously and tried to teach me how broadcast tv
worked... irony people, irony.

--

Narelle
narellec at gmail.com