[AusNOG] NBNCo releases its response to industry consultation

Narelle narellec at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 21:36:29 EST 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 8:03 PM, Paul Brooks
<pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au> wrote:
> Not at all Grahame  - SOMEONE - or collection of someones - will be
> doing a lot of advertising and awareness raising, but it need not be NBN
> Co itself. NBNCo is just a servant of its RSP customers - its the RSPs
> that have the relationship with end-users, its the RSPs, backed by a
> pile of government general awareness raising (think digital TV
> switchover)...

Oh, gee, what a concept - the Internet Industry doing a co-ordinated campaign??

Far be it for me to suggest anything to bodies such as the IIA, but
what an idea.

Given that NBN Co won't be dealing with end customers, surely it would
be preferable for the industry to do this?

Along the same lines, I can suggest it to the Internet Society
(australian chapter) Board, but we'd need to raise the money to run
such a campaign, and we would do it on behalf of CONSUMERS not the
industry.

So ours might be something like:
"don't listen to these unscrupulous people at your door offering crazy
prices and unbelievable broadband speeds... go to XYZ official
TIO/ACMA/NBN Co web site list of certified RSPs"

We are actually trying to raise some funding to do a series of
consumer briefings on this topic, but haven't got there yet.

All suggestions for such an activity, sponsorship offers etc will be
listened to...

--

Narelle
narellec at gmail.com