[AusNOG] NBNCo releases its response to industry consultation

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Mon Mar 29 15:23:30 EST 2010

On 29/03/2010, at 2:39 PM, Grahame Lynch wrote:

> So while I see what you are saying here, it appears there has been a change of policy or a disconnect in intention at some point. There has been an assumption to date that connections would take place as the network rolled out to the street not when a retail service provider placed an order.

Customer authorisation to install a fibre/ONT/etc wouldn't necessarily require them buying a service.  Just consent to install.   So NBNCo could acquire the install consent independently of any RSP from those people who hadn't arranged to do so prior to rollout in an area.

At the moment I'm not aware of any issue with a telco asking a building owner if they can install without having a customer, it's just that building owners are irrational about saying yes to people improving the connectivity options in their building even though it should make renting places out easier!

(If I'm wrong then I'm sure I'm about to be corrected in 3 ... 2 ... 1).

MMC
--
Matthew Moyle-Croft
Peering Manager and Team Lead - Commercial and DSLAMs