[AusNOG] 4Byte AS quagga configuration

Karl Kloppenborg karl at karltec.net
Sat Mar 27 13:10:33 EST 2010

Howdy Noggers,

We have recently acquired our 4byte AS number and am having large amounts of trouble with setting it up in Quagga.

Currently our AS is 2Byte and have had no issue with it however changing one of our routers BGP configs from "router bgp 2byteAS" to "router bgp 131229" leaves me with this error:

[$$$$]# service bgpd restart
Shutting down bgpd:                                        [  OK  ]
Starting bgpd: There is no such command.
Error occured during reading below line.
router bgp 131229

                                                           [FAILED]

This problem is caused only when I switch to 4byte and if I do a bgpd version check it is:
bgpd version 0.99.16
Copyright 1996-2005 Kunihiro Ishiguro, et al.

and from everything I have googled it should support AS4 numbering?

If anyone has some examples or thoughts on the matter I would be most happy to hear from you! :)

Cheers!
Karl Kloppenborg
Technical Director @ Karltec

P 02 8014 4253  EXT:104  | M 0438475892  |  www.karltec.net

Please consider the environment before printing this email. Think before you print.