[AusNOG] Telstra and port 25 for iPhone outbound

David Connors david at codify.com
Mon Mar 15 17:46:16 EST 2010

On 15 March 2010 16:10, Darren Moss <Darren.Moss at em3.com.au> wrote:

>  Thanks everyone for your input, much appreciated. The happy medium is
> secure SMTP sending and so far we've configured 10 handsets which are all
> working. In answering my original question, yes Telstra blocks port 25
> outbound via third party, however it does actually still work for some
> handsets.... but not reliably.

Seems to work fine for me (I can telnet to our SMTP server here at work). As
Jay suggested, a specific apn might block it while another might not.

Totally guessing here, but if you used a BigPond APN it might block it where
as a telstra.internet one might not ... ? That might explain your
variability on a phone to phone basis.

If your back-end mail system is Exchange or Google Apps (or anything else
that talks Active Sync), I'd suggest using that instead of SMTP (push mail,
calendar, contact sync etc).

David.

--
David Connors (david at codify.com)