[AusNOG] IPv4 Exhaustion date changed to December.

James Paussa lists at puzza.org
Tue Jun 22 12:19:33 EST 2010

> Hogwash.  NAT vs encapsulation is about equal cost in the CPE device.
> You only have to size/distribute the tunnel endpoints on the ISP's
> side.  The extra 20 bytes per packet is nothing.
Say someone like HE which is pretty popular their closest POP is Hong Kong
last time I checked, that is a pretty big jump. If you are talking about
ISPs offering tunnel connectivity that is just a step off offering native
which is all the same fight in having them adopt IPv6 in the first place
in my opinion.

> And can you say that you are ready to turn IPv6 on now?
It already is. :)
I get my home tail off iiNet however and AFAIK they don't offer IPv6.

> It isn't IPv4 or IPv6.  It's add IPv6 to the existing network.  You want
> to charge for the single IPv4 address most home users get.  There is no
> wastage.
I was looking at more of a business not residential point of view. Most
businesses may have a /28 or so assigned, the cost of those IP addresses
in the future may drive the move to IPv6 as a cost saving for them. In the
future I would say a lot of home users will be NATted before IPv6 is fully
adopted.

Regards,
James.