[AusNOG] Rudd shelves Filtering legislation

Andrew Oskam percy at th3interw3bs.net
Thu Jun 3 14:49:36 EST 2010

Just saw this in my morning news read -
http://www.itnews.com.au/News/182029,iinet-primus-split-on-filter.aspx

I had a good long read and stopped for a rather large chuckle at a
number of snippits:

> Concerns "a future government may misuse the ISP filters and extend
> the policy to cover freedom of speech or political dissent" were
> unfounded, he said.
Given that the censorship is yet to be released it's impossible for
anyone to collect hardened facts but I believe there have been numerous
occasions where the government has misused and abused programs it has
implement for their own political gain.
It's politics for christ sake! It's common knowledge that if you give
_anyone_ the power to run your life for you they may not necessarily
have your best interests at heart.

A filter that is meant to protect you from Refused Content that is
listed on a blacklist that YOU, as an Australian citizen, is prohibited
from seeing is very scary.

> The Primus chief also disagrees with those who oppose the filter plan
> on the premise that it is technically flawed.
I'm yet to see any evidence of its testing against IPv6 and the NBN
conditions therefore it cannot possibly have been thoroughly tested to
the point where it is deemed faultless.

> "Sure, some people may wish to get around the filter, and we will deal
> with that in time," he said. "But I don't believe many Australian
> families will want to bypass it."
You're absolutely right - families won't want to bypass the filter
because they won't need to - the filter isn't blocking the content that
it SHOULD be.
Families aren't so concerned about the bestiality, terrorism and suicide
content purely because this content is much harder to simply stumble upon!
If they intend on pushing for this filter, then they should be focusing
on content that IS easy to stumble across because this is the content
children shouldn't be seeing.
It's simply a waste of money to push for a program that isn't satisfying
what parents want in protection for their children ultimately leading to
a false sense of safety - even if the onus for the childs protection
should be on the parents.

> Bhatia said it is also important to note that the filter is "one
> component of the cyber-safety measures" required to protect
> Australians from harmful content.

Surely you mean the same content that is difficult to find unless you're
actually looking hard enough.

> "If a filter helps keep families safe on the internet then I'm not
> going to object to it," he said.
But it's not keeping families safe - Chat Rooms and MSN are the #1 place
where pedophiles stalk young children. Is the filter going to block
that? If not, then how is it protecting families?

> Bhatia asserts that if most Australians were polled specifically
> around the details of Senator Conroy's filtering plan, there would be
> "overwhelming support" in relation to content that involves "child
> porn, rape, bestiality, drug making and training for terrorism et al".
I'm pretty sure that your assertions are overwhelmingly incorrect, IMO.

When you scale bestiality, drug making, terrorism training and even
Child Porn against kidnapping and stalking of young children - I'm
fairly sure that that the latter becomes less common.

Noggers, please do not take my statement as a sign that I don't care for
or consider the latter to be any less important or harmless - I'm simply
trying to make a point that, although the filter has the best of
intentions, it ultimately is flawed and does not satisfy what we need.

</rant>

Andrew Oskam

E  percy at th3interw3bs.net

NOTICE:

These comments are my own personal opinions only and do not necessarily
reflect the positions or opinions of my employer or their affiliates.
All comments are based upon my current knowledge and my own personal
experiences. You should conduct independent tests to verify the validity
of any statements made in this email before basing any decisions upon
those statements.