[AusNOG] Telstra YouTube Servers

Matt Carter matt at iseek.com.au
Tue Jun 1 14:13:03 EST 2010

Hi Phil,

We have TWI & Pipe, full tables, both are path-optimal - I don't see the issues you are seeing.

Are we suggesting that you Youtube have local preffed traffic for certain prefixes to Telstra, by way of Youtube policy, or by way of Telstra sending a community to Youtube to influence their local pref. Sending a community to increase local pref above default seems highly unlikely if supported it usually goes the other way, are we super super sure we aren't seeing something that is consistent with "normal BGP path selection algorithm"? route-views.oregon-ix.net has hooks into AS1221, in lieu of an actual Telstra looking glass, everything looks ok?? (and likewise over in pipe IX land?)

( I must admit, I kind of glossed over the "not to be confused with the normal BGP path selection process" as we go on to talk about "giving preference" ... Given that local preference is a the top of the BGP decision chain, I was a little unclear as to then what you would perceive as the "normal" BGP path selection process. Just subnet/mask & AS prepend? Prefixes as viewed by the net? )

Will flick you a TWI BGP knob-turner contact off-list

Kind regards,