[AusNOG] Happy Sysadminday

Brent Paddon brent at overthewire.com.au
Fri Jul 30 12:15:59 EST 2010

I have not been able to find the image since, but I swear in the weeks after
9/11 there was a photo getting around of a datacentre which was housed in
one of the surrounding damaged buildings and had a huge hole in the side of
the wall facing out to a sheer drop down.

Could have been a fake I guess - I have not seen it since then.

Anyone remember that or was I just dreaming it ?

Brent

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Matt Carter <matt at iseek.com.au> wrote:

>  Can’t help but notice on that website, most of the pics are of spaghetti
> cabling nightmares between the patch panel and the switches, not of say gory
> disk failures or the like, which I thought would be more up the Sysadmin
> alley.... I knew it! See what happens when you let systems boys loose on the
> network!!  J
>
>  The flooded DC pic if it’s the one i’m thinking of (there isn’t too many
> that involve the DC being filled with raw sewage) won’t go into too much
> details but iirc, but needless to say inspection points for sewage waste
> going through the floor of your DC is probably not a great thing. If it’s
> the one i’m thinking of, the cleanup cost was significant. (All the walls
> had to be stripped to the concrete and sterilised etc)

Brent Paddon

Director | Over the Wire Pty Ltd brent.paddon at overthewire.com.au |
www.overthewire.com.au
Phone: 07 3847 9292 | Fax: 07 3847 9696 | Mobile: 0400 2400 54