[AusNOG] Highest ADSL2 internet connection speed

Chris Pollock Chris.Pollock at staff.pipenetworks.com
Thu Jul 29 12:02:21 EST 2010

Not as surprised as I was!  It took a few goes at the order to get it
right, there's only so many times you can get an 'Incorrect deployment
class' message before you start going back to your distance/resistance
calculations.

Deployment classes aren't strictly distance based, they're actually on
power levels injected at certain levels of resistance calculated over
distance; the 1.1km full speed range is based on an average of 0.4 PUIT
copper.  This run happened to have a large section of 0.6 PUIT as the
exchange service area was split for the installation of a new exchange
some years ago, and a lot of new, high quality line went in.  So that is
actually still obeying the deployment class rules, just got super lucky
with the cable run.

Cheers,

--
Chris Pollock
Technical & Install Manager

PPC-1 is now live!
6900 km, 20 Months, 2.56 Tbps, 12.5 kilovolts, $200 Million and 100%
Australian Owned.
http://www.pipeinternational.com <http://www.pipeinternational.com/>

Mobile :  +61 4 1074 7765
Phone :  +61 7 3233 9813