[AusNOG] Why No Form Of Censorship Is A Good Thing

Narelle narellec at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 19:00:03 EST 2010

You're mixing the issues.

This document is *not* about censorship but about tracking online behaviour.

It is not possible therefore for an independent citizen to asssess the
potential cost and impost upon users and ISPs because this document is
thus restricted. Also no independent or public comparison with the Eu
can actually be made unless one of the ISPs leaks the material. No
independent cost/benefit analysis can be made.

This is not the only report that is being suppressed due to the
election. The Murray-Darling water discussion paper is another eg.

Sadly the political debate has reached a level where point scoring and
FUD has more merit than ideas and policy, so it just gets worse...

The baby is well and truly out with the bathwater.

While it may be true that the price of freedom is eternal vigilance,
if one's [so-called] civil society sinks to the level of control of a
totalitarian state you have already lost.

Sadly,

Narelle