[AusNOG] APNIC WHOIS

Terry Manderson terry at terrym.net
Tue Jul 20 18:42:00 EST 2010

Speaking strictly as an individual and certainly not for any organisation I might be involved with.

Darren,

Take a flip through the IETF SIDR charter and if you are game read over some of the current workgroup drafts:
Charter: http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/sidr/charter/
Drafts: http://tools.ietf.org/wg/sidr/

To paraphrase, the SIDR working group is defining a X.509 hierarchy that can be used to validate the usage rights of IP addresses and ASNs. It's called the RPKI (Resource Public Key Infrastructure).

The RIRs are gearing up for this and have made statements that they will commence issuing these certificates for resources in 2011 [1]. They have even go so far as to say they are launching a 'fully operational' system by that time [2]. This is somewhat confusing to me as none of the RIR's RPKI updates yet seen also addresses the single Trust Anchor as described by the IETF's IAB [3]. Maybe I've been sleeping and missed it ;-) Or maybe the rir's have no plans to support such a thing. What I do know is that technically a X509 hierarchy works best with a single trust anchor. (and as I type I'm sure someone is queuing up the 'It is a political issue' response ;) If you are keen to play with this I believe Randy Bush has made a pretty good effort at demonstrating the ideal hierarchy with a substantial amount of working code. Although not sure if he is still looking for players. Could ask..

So will you at some stage in the not to distant future, irrespective of the completeness of of the implementation, be able to validate if a party has the rights to use some prefix? Yes. (modulo the sanity of any database behind the issuance of the certificates, as you would normally expect)

Will you be able to make hard and fast routing decisions based on that - well yes and no. Yes its possible as a local policy decision. But perhaps at the detriment of stability. Might you be able to make routing _preference_ statements. I think so - but I'd say I would be waiting on release 2 or 3 of any vendor code for sanity reasons.

That being the case I would think the remaining most interesting use of RPKI X.509 certificates will be to facilitate the mooted ipv4 address trading model. Just like a deed of title, only digital! But I'm sure we will all be on IPv6 by then and we won't need to do address trading.

[1] http://www.nro.net/news/nro-declaration-rpki.html
[2] http://www.nro.net/documents/pdf/ICANN-rpki.pdf
[3] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf-announce/current/msg07028.html

Cheers