[AusNOG] Why No Form Of Censorship Is A Good Thing

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Tue Jul 20 10:31:41 EST 2010

On 20/07/2010, at 9:49 AM, Kai wrote:

> Yeah, I know that but the way Conroy's going he'll use anything as ammunition as "pro-filter" even if it has nothing do to with filtering, and more about parenting,

He can't, because he's nailed his colors to the wall on only
touching Refused Classification.

Nothing described in that article is Refused Classification.
The ALP's grand plan wouldn't make a whit of difference to any
of it.

Also, with respect:

Inventing imaginary scenarios in which an opponent comes up with
a spectacularly dumb argument, but somehow manages to be so persuasive
that you lose, doesn't appear to be a productive use of anyone's
time.

There isn't a chance in hell that Conroy could say anything about this
case without looking like a spectacular failure.  The message in that
article has nothing to do with internet censorship, and everything to
do with the fact that a government which campaigned on a "cyber safety"
plan in 2007 has spent three years dropping the ball on online bullying
so profoundly that an 11 year old needs police protection, and the
best they can come up with to deal with it is ACMA's big red button,
which has been described as, "a $100,000 Adobe Air application which
calls the police."

Why do they expect anyone to take them seriously?  And why should anyone
trust any plans they make to fix it?

  - mark

--
Mark Newton                               Email:  newton at internode.com.au (W)