[AusNOG] ISOC-AU position on filtering - with Skeeve's thoughts

Chris Pollock Chris.Pollock at staff.pipenetworks.com
Mon Jul 19 08:52:37 EST 2010

Mark,

> Isn't (thinking about) making money off of it tacitly
> supporting it? That seems to me to be a slippery slope. "I'll
> accept anything the government does, as long as I'm making
> money off of it."

But we're not talking about accepting /anything/ the government does
that's profitable, we're talking about accepting an optional filtering
scheme.  As anyone who's had the bad fortune to get stuck in a lift with
me while I'm talking about mandatory filtering knows, I'm vehemently
anti-filter, but this is a much more simple business decision.

Step 1. Government says "Who wants filtering!  You can get it, ask your
ISP."
Step 2. Some people want it.
Step 3. *your action here*
Step 4. $_GET["profit"];

Regardless of how you feel about mandatory filtering, filtering as a
basic concept has it's place.  Schools, educational institutions,
anywhere that children have access to computers that belong to an
organisation .. There's a risk there for those places if they don't try
to lock down their 'net connections.

--
Chris Pollock
Technical & Install Manager

PPC-1 is now live!
6900 km, 20 Months, 2.56 Tbps, 12.5 kilovolts, $200 Million and 100%
Australian Owned.
http://www.pipeinternational.com

Mobile :  +61 4 1074 7765
Phone :  +61 7 3233 9813