[AusNOG] 10GbE Switching

Julien Goodwin ausnog at studio442.com.au
Fri Jul 16 15:11:29 EST 2010

On 16/07/10 14:37, Skeeve Stevens wrote:
> -          Juniper EX3200 -  24 port 1GbE with 1 module slot. About
> $3.5k.  10GbE network module approx $2k
If they're nearby the EX4200's with the stack cables are better, in fact
even running the stack over the 10gb ports (eg 2x 10Gbase-SR which we've
got in production) is better then non-stacked latency-wise.

And yes I'm another one in the I <3 JunOS club as well.

> -          Extreme Summit X650.  No idea on pricing.
Just to chip in my standard warning on Extreme kit recently[1], is even
ignoring their near-useless hardware support in Australia (we had to
settle for a 48-hour parts contract) they seem unable to actually
support their OS. We couldn't manage to make the SSH daemon actually
respect the IP ACL even with their support.

They're the only vendor that we've dropped due to sheer inability to
meet support contracts.

Julien

1: Timescale being end of 2008 start of 2009, they're still in
production, but are certainly the worst of our managed switches to work on.