[AusNOG] SAN - NetApp vs EMC vs EqualLogic (kinda off topic)

Shaun Dwyer shaun at dwyer.id.au
Fri Jul 16 12:40:00 EST 2010

On the smaller end of the scale, I put a Dell/EMC NX4 in place for my last employer. Had a few speedbumps getting it going - apparently we were the first in the country with an NX4.

Once going it was rock solid, however the configuration web interface leaves a lot to be desired. There is a lot of functionality that requires CLI and although the buttons exist in the web interface, they've been locked out because the assumption is that if you're using the GUI, you're "too dumb" and "shouldn't be touching that" etc.

That being said if you don't need SMB/CIFS/NFS, you can use an AX4-5 to do iSCSI/FC which the NX4 uses as its disk storage backend anyway. The AX4-5 configuration interface is pretty good and equally seems rock solid.

Performance was great, just before I left for another job we were maxing out ~45 15k 600GB SAS disks IOPs wise, and the controllers seemed to have much more to give based on the performance counters.

Dell were really good to buy from and their after sales service was fantastic too - they even paid for a 3rd party consultant to come out and fix everything on-site for us and give us some training on the important stuff thats not really covered in the documentation.

I'd strongly recommend getting a demo of the software to see how it works and if you think its suitable (even if its in a VM, or on a remote customer site or something) before putting in a PO though for any vendor though.

If you want a sales contact in Dell, let me know off-list and I'll give you some details.

Cheers!
-Shaun