[AusNOG] Australian Censorship program to go ahead - Gillard supports a the great firewall

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Thu Jul 8 09:19:15 EST 2010

On 08/07/2010, at 7:55 AM, Andrew Fort wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 5:11 AM, Patrick Webster <patrick at aushack.com> wrote:
>> Valid points.
>>
>> How about Google doing a www.google.com.au -> www.google.cn style
>> redirect for a week.
>>
>> Sure to bug the hell out of a lot of people and raise awareness.
>
> Heh. And be sure to put the link as /auexp/, an "experiment" on
> australia just like Google has been "experimenting" with China.
> Jokers.  Perhaps they better focus on their real competition,
> Facebook.  Not China. :)

We're all respectable little geeks here, and disconnecting net access or
implementing ACLs or route-maps is a respectable geek way of responding to
an issue like this.

But y'know what?  Almost none of the general public, and literally none of
our elected representatives, are geeks.

This is a political debate, not a technical one.  Political tactics are
required.

How many of you have /at least placed a phone call/ to their MP about this?

(or, more significantly, how many haven't?)

Arrange a meeting.  And be serious, factual and well-armed with rational
alternatives.

  - mark

--
Mark Newton                               Email:  newton at internode.com.au (W)