[AusNOG] Network Management and Tools

Kym Kovan tech-lists at mbcomms.net.au
Wed Jul 7 10:29:05 EST 2010

On 5/07/2010 5:46 PM, David Hughes wrote:

>> I know it's not FOSS in any way, but has anyone considered PRTG ? (yes I know it's closed source, only runs on Windows and costs real $)
>

> No problems with paying $'s for the right tool.  PRTG looks good but it's a bit limited for my purposes.   Great for WAN circuitry etc but how about linux box service monitoring and alerting?  Or even (gasp) WMI based Windows server monitoring.  All ugly stuff but important in their own place.

We have recently set it up for a new server farm of 40-odd VMware
virtual machines, nearly all Win2008 plus a few linux/BSD boxes for load
balancing and VPN gateways.

Push the right buttons in 2008's firewall and PRTG will pick up about 30
WMI/services all on its own for a typical web application server, more
than you need, and we were somewhat astonished when we pointed it at the
vSphere server and told it to auto-discover just to see what it could do
and it worked out for itself that this was a vSphere control server and
gave us a complete map of all of the VMs and their workloads, etc. We
didn't have to do a thing :-)

For a heavy Windows 2008 environment I would highly recommend PRTG.

--

Yours,

Kym Kovan
mbcomms.net.au