[AusNOG] Network Management and Tools

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 5 20:26:05 EST 2010

--- On Mon, 5/7/10, David Hughes <David at hughes.com.au> wrote:

> On 05/07/2010, at 11:20 AM, Tony wrote:
>
> > I know it's not FOSS in any way, but has anyone
> considered PRTG ? (yes I know it's closed source, only runs
> on Windows and costs real $)
>

> No problems with paying $'s for the right tool.  PRTG
> looks good but it's a bit limited for my
> purposes.   Great for WAN circuitry etc but
> how about linux box service monitoring and alerting?
> Or even (gasp) WMI based Windows server monitoring.
> All ugly stuff but important in their own place.

Hi David,

You can check out the list of stuff it will monitor out of the box here:

http://www.paessler.com/support/kb/prtg7/features_networkmonitoring

It includes WMI & all your basic stuff like HTTP, FTP, SMTP, POP, RADIUS, DNS, etc. It also includes some interesting things like monitoring email RTT bt sending an email and then POPing the mailbox to determine how long it took.

You can write your own sensors for it and there is a google code page for it at:

http://code.google.com/p/prtg7addons/wiki/CustomSensors

regards,
Tony.