[AusNOG] Incorrect DNS setup

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Mon Jul 5 14:06:35 EST 2010

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010, Skeeve Stevens wrote:

> 'www' serves no purpose whatsoever...  and I am actually quite happy
> when i see a '<domain>.com.au' on a bus or advert with no 'www'.

Agreed.  I was reflecting the other day on how the general public is
actually acquiring a level of technological maturity.... No really :)

I was riding a train the other day and the guard made an announcement and
then said "for more information go to gotransit.com".  That was it.
Simple and the vast majority of the people on the train probably
understood exactly what he meant.

I reflected how 10 years ago he would have said "go to h t t p : / / w w w
. gotransit . com".

> That said, we've been using www for sooo long that it would be stupid of
> people not to have an A record for it as well.

Agreed.  One day it will go away.

Oh for SRV records...

Rob

--