[AusNOG] Comcast trialling IPv6

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Thu Jan 28 11:13:49 EST 2010

What makes this particularly interesting is that a large percentage of
Comcast customers get their CPE from Comcast.  In some cases this is
optional (eg, if you're only getting Internet from them), but in many
cases it's required (voice/triple-play customers).  For them to be
getting to the customer trial stage would hopefully imply the that at
least have their CPE vendors onboard to some extent...

Interestingly a few months ago they increased the price of their cable
modem rental for many customers, on the grounds that they would need
to do a refresh of hardware to most customers in the not too distant
future.  The main thing stated was DOCSIS 3.0 support, but I'm
wondering if it wasn't as much IPv6 that will be the driver for
upgraded hardware...

My "Volunteer" application is already in for their trial, so if I get
selected I'll be happy to keep people updated with the progress.

  Scott.