[AusNOG] Comcast trialling IPv6

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Thu Jan 28 11:00:41 EST 2010

On 27 Jan 2010, at 3:51, Mark Smith wrote:

[...]

> In some respects it isn't surprising, as a major contributor to IPv6,
> Alain Durand, works them. What I found a bit surprising a few years back
> was that one of their major drivers for IPv6 wasn't public address
> space, but size limitations of the RFC1918 private address space. As a
> cable provider, they use RFC1918 addresses internally to manage their
> customers' CPE, and despite RFC1918 consisting of a /8, 16 /16s and
> 256 /24s, it wasn't big enough. NATting might not have been an
> option to get around this, as they possibly need universal any-to-any
> reachability between their management systems and their customers' CPE,
> which is the Internet Protocol property that NAT takes away.

This might be a good point to mention that Marla Azinger and I are looking for input on how to improve draft-azinger-additional-private-ipv4-space-issues-01. We are currently working on an update and would appreciate suggestions for how to make it better.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-azinger-additional-private-ipv4-space-issues-01

Thanks,

Leo