[AusNOG] IANA IPv4 allocations and bogon update 1/8 and 27/8

Kate Lance kate at ipv6now.com.au
Wed Jan 27 09:48:40 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 07:55:06PM +0000, Andy Davidson wrote:
> Networks who have not started their ipv6 plan are now way behind.
>
> Those who think ipv4.2 will save the day will have a feel of what it
> will feel like post exhaustion, if as some people predict, islands in
> 1/8 wont have full connectivity.
>
> C'mon guys, get your v6 plans finished and implemented ! :-)

If anyone still doesn't believe exhaustion is real, have a look at
http://www.ipv6now.com.au/v4exhaustion.php
which I've just updated for 1/8 and 27/8. The images show that it was
easy to believe that nothing much had changed up to about 2005 - but
after that the acceleration in allocations has been amazing.

And for those saying the government should do the usual 'something' -
for once they have! They've offically set December *2012* as the deadline
for their networks, systems and services to be fully IPv6-capable. See
http://www.finance.gov.au/e-government/infrastructure/internet-protocol-version-6.html

Regards,
Kate

 Dr Kate Lance, Communications Manager           IPv6 Now Pty Ltd
 Phone +61 3 9315 0574                Head Office +61 2 6161 6607
 kate at ipv6now.com.au      Understanding - Transition - Innovation
 www.ipv6now.com.au    PO Box 152 Civic Square ACT 2608 Australia