[AusNOG] FW: Less than 10% of IPv4 Addresses Remain Unallocated

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Tue Jan 26 09:08:51 EST 2010

On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 21:55 +1000, Steve Lisson wrote:

> As to the cost going up, I can see it as a basic supply/demand issue,
> if there is less supply available and the demand stays the same or
> increases is it not expected that the price goes up?

That's the whole point, there is no need to 'up the price' because of
it, to do otherwise is just profiteering, it's just a last minute  money
grab "because they can", and I would  hope APNIC has more sense than to
try pull the usual real estate stunt.

> From what I have seen (e.g. customers generally not being interested
> in IPv6 and coming to the conclusion all I can do there is just have

Many don't need to know the ins and outs, all they need to do is be
aware if like other  "requirements" an ISP might have to provide
services, if it becomes one, the customer will need to ask their
retailer about it, they wont need or care what it is, just that their
CPE is capable.

>  applications developers are not their either, probably around a ½
> year ago I ask one of our game server customers if I provided them
> with IPv6 could their run any of the standard games they have on IPv6,
> their response was that they don’t know of any games that they run
> that have IPv6 capabilities.

and sadly if you asked them today, the answer would likely still be the
same.

Have a good one Steve.