[AusNOG] Less than 10% of IPv4 Addresses Remain Unallocated

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Sat Jan 23 12:19:33 EST 2010

Rather than being silly and using phrases like "talking about ripping off end users more money because they use ipv4" how about we return to some level of constructive conversation about ensuring we have the right IPv6 lifeboats are going to built?

Well, sorry if that offended anyone here, but it IS ludicrous to even suggest such an action against end users simply because they have NFI what ipv4 or 6 is, and any proposed extortion, is exactly that, and any company who introduces such will be the loser, not the end user, (wow never though I'd be sticking up for users :P)

Customers who don't know/don't care will just get a NAT'ed IP and never be the wiser.  My mum won't notice.

IPv6 support from more vendors needs more people demanding it.  I know that our efforts have made some change from a few of our vendors so it'll be easier and quicker for the rest of you when the water is lapping at your toes.   But it'd be nice if we didn't have to haul people from the sea as they drown.

That's excellent, but one man moving a mountain will take a decade, many men will move it sooner, you need the likes of TPG, iinet, primus AAPT, optus onside too, I did not mention hel$tra, because , well, you know where I'd be going with that one.

Yep.

I'll put aside a nice bottle of JD black for it, but I still reckon I wont be touching it till at least 2015.

So, you're just going to ignore the problem and hope you don't drown when scrabbling for a life boat?

Good luck.

MMC