[AusNOG] Less than 10% of IPv4 Addresses Remain Unallocated

Tom Lanyon tom at netspot.com.au
Fri Jan 22 13:31:23 EST 2010

On 22/01/2010, at 12:54 PM, Nathan Gardiner wrote:

> I'm sure it's no revolutionary idea, but the provision of additional
> spectrum to broadcasters as part of the digital TV rollout, and
> consequently the availability of extra content through digital
> recievers has likely done a lot to promote uptake - I read this
> morning that 44% of Australian viewers have digtal recievers (in
> reference to ABC's planned news channel), which is very significant
> given the size of the market.
>
> Without actually having concrete details I'd think that in any way
> those with an interest in IPv6 adoption could subsidise specific
> content or services available exclusively over IPv6, it would at
> least provide some incentive for CPE vendors and consumers to make
> the change. I'm aware that my ISP offers dual-stack connectivity and
> while I'll get around to replacing my CPE eventually I can't say
> that alone is much of an incentive to spend extra for compatible CPE
> right now.
>
> Nathan

That would require content that is available exclusively over IPv6 -
which means either removing IPv4 accessibility for existing content or
providing new content only on IPv6. I can't imagine any content
provider would want to do either of these unless it's funded by those
who are trying to push v6 adoption...

Tom