[AusNOG] Less than 10% of IPv4 Addresses Remain Unallocated

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Fri Jan 22 09:52:20 EST 2010

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 08:16:51 +1000
Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-01-21 at 12:28 +1100, James Spenceley wrote:
>

> > > Yep, and I still stand by at _LEAST_ 2015 before we seriously get close to looking like running out of ipv4, maybe longer than that.
> > > There's around 400 million IP's stilll up for grabs.
> >
> > and how many phones/computer will connect to the Indian and Chinese Internet in the next year ?
> >

> How many connected last year...
> 4 x /8's issued to APNIC
> 4 x /8's issued to RIPE
>

> I'm well aware that the majority of vocal people on this list are
> supporters of  ipv6,
> I just have an investigative mind, in other words,
> I do think some here are hyping things up for their own agenda, just
> like those did back in 90's.

It's not that. It's that some people are arrogant enought to believe
they can make more accurate IPv4 addressing exhaustion predictions with
no more than 5 seconds thought than the organisations (RIRs) who's job
is to manage the IPv4 address space, and who have many years data to
backup their predictions.