[AusNOG] Conroy announcement on filtering

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Mon Jan 4 19:01:27 EST 2010

On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 16:11:58 +1030
Mark Newton <newton at internode.com.au> wrote:

> On 04/01/2010, at 3:40 PM, Skeeve Stevens wrote:
>
> > If I was the government, I would basically offer $$$ (or a tax break, or something) to ISPs who chose to join a filtering programme or offered products based on some sort of filtering standard.
>
> SAGE-AU suggested something along those lines over a year ago, it fell
> on deaf ears.
>
> Note that the Internet industry itself has been totally deficient in coming up
> with (or endorsing) alternative proposals.  Most of the big ISPs haven't been
> able to get out of their way quickly enough to make public statements about how
> they applaud the Government's efforts in this area, and the small ISPs have
> barely said anything at all.  Disappointing, but completely expected.

I don't think there are any practical alternative proposals to what the
government is proposing. I think that is the ISPs position. As techs,
we know how hard this problem is to solve, or, alernatively, that it
isn't possible to solve at all, at the level the government is
convinced it is.

It seems to me that the majority of the public don't fundamentally
understand what the issue is - and I think that is because they don't
quite "understand" the Internet. It's some magic "cloud" that we techs
"sprinkle" our magic pixie dust on to make it work. Technology is
amazing to them, and as we work with it, we're amazing too, so surely
we're able to live up to the government's promises, we've just got to
work hard at it.

What I think needs to be done is to explain this issue in terms the
general public do understand, and I think to do that you need to "dumb"
it down, and not make it about just the Internet. I've been thinking a
bit about how you'd do that, and I think you need to explain it to
people using things that they do care about. I think a TV commercial
with scenes something like the following would do the trick:

- scene1: show a large hall full of people at desks, with truck loads of
  mail (i.e. snail mail) being delivered. Show the people at the desks
  opening up the mail, and then spreading gossip between themselves
  about who is writing what to whom. Possibly even better, show one of
  them then ask to be given some mail that is supposed to go to their
  neighbour, so they can get some gossip to tell the other neighbour
  over the fench

- scene2: similar to the above, for telephone calls

- scene3: similar to the above, for ATM withdrawls or credit card
  processing

- scene4: A voice over of something like "The government wants to ISPs
  to inspect everything you use your Internet connection for. It'd be
  easier to do it for your mail and your financial transactions. Will
  they stop at just trying to filter Internet?"