[AusNOG] Lundy vs Conroy on the filter

Bevan Slattery Bevan.Slattery at staff.pipenetworks.com
Wed Feb 24 12:41:58 EST 2010

Jeremy,

> If people actually cared about their privacy, then they
> wouldn't be running Windows, publishing their whole life
> online on Facebook, or filling their systems with malware.
>
> People will just accept what's shoved in their faces.
>
> The average non-technical member of the general public that
> is really genuinely concerned about issues like this probably
> doesn't even own a computer in the first place (or an
> Internet connection).

And that's the point.  The average user *is* "running Windows,
publishing their whole life online on Facebook, or filling their systems
with malware".  They should be concerned, very concerned, but no one has
really taken the time to educate them as to why.

[b]

PS:  I'm almost mortified that the average young adult is now letting
nightclub operators scan their drivers licences and even link it to
their finger print scanners for entry.  What a remarkable vector for
identity theft.