[AusNOG] iiNet update

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Thu Feb 4 16:13:04 EST 2010

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 8:58 PM, Nicholas Meredith
<nicholas at udhaonline.net> wrote:
>> "copyright occured as result of use of BitTorrent, not the Internet"
>> said Justice Cowdroy
>
> I couldn't be happier for the sane ruling on this case, but this begs the
> question, does this Judge have ANY idea at all what the Internet is? I'm
> referring to the context of a home user who sees the World Wide Web as the
> 'Internet' and E-Mail and everything else as just E-Mail etc. The statement
> above shows a lack of comprehension that all services are 'the Internet.'

I'm presuming that Bevan short-handed the actual quote.  The ruling
summary states :
"There does not appear to be any way to infringe the applicants’
copyright from the mere use of the internet. Rather, the ‘means’ by
which the applicants’ copyright is infringed is an iiNet user’s use of
the constituent parts of the BitTorrent system."

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/cth/FCA/2010/24.html

  Scott.