[AusNOG] [off-topic] Samsung Galaxy S

Kai vk6ksj at westnet.com.au
Fri Dec 31 12:46:54 EST 2010

On 31/12/10 09:11, Ryan Verner wrote:
> On 30/12/2010, at 19:47 , James Hodgkinson wrote:
>> I guess the question I have is... How reversible are things like the voodoo fix et al? I don't mind my phone but it would be hard to turn down an opportunity at getting more battery life and less application related lag...
>
> Very reversible; installation is a ridiculously simple procedure of putting a zip file onto the phone, and rebooting it holding down a few buttons and selecting an option.  You do exactly the same thing to reverse it.

That easy huh? sweet...that was one of my next questions! :P

> On 31/12/2010, at 24:22 , Kai wrote:
>> I got to to the "Kies update" window in the guide they have, nowhere
>> does it mention that the update is around 80meg...but anyway, it
>> downloads version 1.5.3.10103_102, dunno if that's any different to what
>> anyone else has but I hope it makes a difference.
>
> Is the latest update the absolute latest firmware from the manufacturer, or is it Virgin's latest firmware for the phone?  Don't underestimate carriers abilities to completely fsck up phones via stupid customisations on outdated firmware :-/
>
> Tried flashing a generic firmware?  (That said, I'm kind of with the previous comments that this kind of stuffing around shouldn't be necessary).

How do I recognise the difference between a Virgin/Optus firmware file
and a manufacturer file?

I -could- try generic but a) I'm sure that requires root which will void
the warranty and b) should we really have to go through so much effort
with a new phone to get it working?

A few people on other mailing lists have said their phone's working
beaaaautifully, maybe non-Optus/Vodafone firmware doesn't have any
prolems...dunno.

I've just emailed VirginMobile and "a representative will contact me in
two working days", ok so does that mean I can expect a reply on January
15th? what's the bet if I ring Customer Service and give them the
reference number that they won't have access to that info anyway...

>> One thing I don't like about all these Android devices though, they all
>> require a GMail account to sync, even basic stuff like calendar's aren't
>> avaiable unless you sync. Google already has enough search info, they
>> don't ALSO need my calender, contacts and everything else!
>
> I held off buying an Android phone for ages because I thought this, but this isn't true; I sync everything happily with my Exchange server, and I'm fairly sure the local calendar works without a Gmail account.  I have one attached to the phone, but it is used for very little.

I was hoping it wasn't the case but I couldn't even use my calendar
without telling it which GMail account I had, why do they need to sync a
calendar to GMail?! so I made "fortheapps at gmail.com" and used that to
get me past the initial screens, then turned off all sync activities. I
might log in to that email account soon and see how much info is there
that I've asked it not to send.